Instructions & Ingredients
by Jamie Krause
Servings: 6-8 | Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
For the pasta:
- 4c. Kaslo Sourdough Classic Macaroni
- 1 jar Classico Sweet Basil Marinara
- 1/2 white or yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
For the chicken:
- 2 fully thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1tbsp. garlic powder
- 1tbsp. onion powder
- 1tsp. chili powder
For the topping:
- 1c. grated mozzarella
- 6 mozzarella sandwich slices
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Remove chicken breasts from the fridge and allow to sit for 30 minutes before cooking. This will help it cook more evenly, and it will get a crispier outside. BUT, don’t push your luck: chicken cannot sit out for more than 2 hours before it becomes a health hazard. Don’t forget about them, and make sure you’re ready to cook after those 30 minutes are up (set an alarm). Do not rinse or wash your chicken.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Strain, and set aside.
- Slice chicken into bite sized chunks. In a dish, combine spices and thoroughly coat chicken chunks. Don’t be shy with the spices!
- Add the chicken to a pan preheated with a pat of butter, and cook 5-7 minutes. Turn, and cook 5 minutes more. Add your chicken to a glass or ceramic oven-safe dish.
- Dice onions finely, and add to dish. Add pasta noodles, sauce, minced garlic, and stir thoroughly.
- Top with grated mozzarella, and bake 30 minutes uncovered, until the pasta bake is bubbling and golden brown.
- While the pasta is in the oven, carve 6 hearts out of your cheese slices. You can freehand it, or try using a drinking glass – you’ll get the hang of it soon enough! Once the pasta bake is removed from the oven, lay the cheese slices on top, and cover with a sheet of foil for 3 minutes to just barely melt them.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread, salad, or on it’s own!